Thursday, November 2, 2017

Tired vs Weary

Let me first say that I have learned true community and accountability over the last few years from a small group of women that was divinely put together.  We have spent time in Bible study, prayer, mourning together, belly laughing, and sweet fellowship.  We’ve experienced new jobs, new marriages, family struggles, and now cancer.  These ladies encourage me, support me, and call me out when I’m not being honest with myself.

Last night I made myself go meet with my small group - even though I just wanted to go home and hide away from the world.  As we were walking to the building where we meet, I commented, “I’m tired of being tired.”  Wrong thing to say - or maybe the right thing.  My friend Christine point blank asked if I was tired or “weary.”  Hmmmm.

I have not been able to stop processing this idea since then and know that’s it’s definitely weariness.   Here’s what I feel like the Lord has given me.

1.  Being tired is more about physicality.  That doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect the mind, but it roots itself in physical fatigue and exhaustion. At the end of a long day, I’m tired.  After exercising or working in the yard, I’m tired. My tired body and mind crave rest - sleep.

2.  Being weary is about your soul and mind.  It’s rooted in emotions and thoughts.  When my mind and spirit are wrapped up in thinking about living life with cancer, I grow weary. When I think about people around me who are hurting, I grow weary.  When I think about a never ending to do list, I grow weary. My weary soul needs Jesus - prayer.

3.  I can’t allow weariness to take over to the point that I miss opportunities to serve others or follow the Spirit’s leading.  I have to lean into my shelter and refuge. I have to allow the Father to restore my soul so that I can pour into others for His glory.

What opportunities are you missing because you’re weary? “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:28-29

No comments: