Sunday, November 24, 2019

Give Thanks, Even in the Darkest Days

You know, this has easily been the most difficult week of my entire life. But I am choosing to walk into the grief and the sadness with thankfulness. This is going to have to be a conscious effort on my part, but I know it is what is going to get me through.  Paul wrote to the church at Ephesus, “always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (5:20) He implores the Colossians to, “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.” (3:15) 

Thank you, Lord, for the 29 years I had with Tim.  These are just a few of the things I’m thankful for. 


  • Provider
  • Hardly ever called repairman
  • Put up with my bossiness but convinced me to see his way
  • Rarely questioned me
  • Was my sounding board
  • The best dad
  • Always told the kids he loved them
  • Hugged them
  • Let them see him cry
  • Taught them to work hard
  • Let them make mistakes
  • Told them to suck it up 
  • Didn’t tolerate ignorance
  • Detested laziness
  • Served others - sometimes at the expense of family or so I thought.  
  • Fair
  • Loyal to a fault
  • Wanted for nothing 
  • Set up all our technology with patience
  • patience
  • Observant
  • Sense of humor like none other
  • Silly
  • LAUNDRY
  • Fighter
  • Taught me compassion
  • Moved us back to Huntsville despite my wishes - because the Lord told him to
  • Wrapping Christmas presents - I’m terrible and didn’t do it good enough to his liking
  • Weed eating.  I still don’t know how. 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can still remember when you first moved back with baby Abby. Your family has always been a joy to be near. I know your list is just a small amount of the complete list of Tim's attributes. I am praying for you and your family. Love you all, Laura Foster

Shauna said...

I am so thankful for both of you!!! God knew what He was doing when He put you two together! You always have been, and always will be, my two favorite college kids. I treasure the memories of the weekends you two would come to visit!! You know I love you and you and the kids are in my daily prayers. God is faithful and I pray His love, comfort, peace and faithfulness carry you through from this day forward. My home is still open to you any time. Just hop in the car and come on!!!!

Charles Thompson said...

Thank you for sharing. God said to give thanks in all circumstances. I admire your faith to obey at such a time.