Thursday, August 22, 2019

Phase 1 Trial

As many of you have now heard, Tim has been approved and accepted as apart of a trial at MD Anderson.  Unlike the previous trials that we were waiting on, this particular drug is a Phase I trial.  What this means is that only a handful of people are involved and is often one of the first time that the drug is tried outside of a laboratory environment.  In Tim's case, the drug does not yet have a name.  It is simply known by the pharmaceutical company name and a number.

We will both be meeting with the doctor and our trial coordinator on Monday, but here's what we know at this time.  The drug (OBI-888) will be an infusion through his port or an IV once a week.  He will be required to be downtown for a total of four days a week each week - one day for the actual infusion, one day for blood work and doctor's appointments, and two other PK lab days.  At this time, we plan for him to travel back and forth so that he can spend as much time with Cooper and Abby in the evenings as possible.

We are both aware that Phase I trials are only the beginning stage of clinical trials and that there are no guarantees that this will work, but there doesn't seem to be anything that says that it will be a detriment or make things work.

I will update again Monday or Tuesday as we learn more.  Between now and then, pray

  1. for this to be our Miracle.
  2. for the kids as we are away periodically.
  3. for safe travels on 45!


2 comments:

danny said...

Great news you guys! Keep your head up and keep the faith!Two years ago when I had my heart valve, I was # 5 on the trial( called me at 4:00PM and told me to be at Plano hospital at 5:30 the next am. They later gave me an extra day. Trust God , He will be with you.
Danny

Phyllis K. said...

Praying for this OB1 888 to be the one to kill this cancer! Thank you for the update as I have been praying for Tim quite a bit here lately and he, and your family have been in my thoughts a lot. Praying for safe travel back and forth on 45. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻❤️❤️❤️🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻