Wednesday, July 3, 2013

WARNING - to Tim, Abby, and Cooper

I'm telling my husband and children everyday that they should be afraid - CHANGE is coming and it's going to be big! It has become very obvious to me that God is calling us to make changes in our lives and I, for one, am going to be obedient to His instruction.  I can't begin to discuss it all in this one post, so I decided to revitalize my blog in an attempt to chronicle what it is I hear Him calling us to do, my thoughts about it, and our reactions.  I can't pretend that it's going to be easy, pretty, or even that we are going to be obedient the first time, but I am at a place in my life where I believe that NOW is the time. God is working around us and we are going to be in a place to join Him in that work.

I guess I'll start with what's been going on the last few months that has lead me to this particular place. I won't go into detail here, but I know that upcoming posts will focus on each of these "encounters" as they relate to the upcoming changes.
  1. Our pastor at University Heights Baptist Church, Dr. Richard Rogers, has been teaching on this whole idea of making a difference in the world we live in and that God is getting ready to turn this world upside down.  
  2. I have recently read Jen Hatmaker's radically, life-changing book 7.  It is without a doubt the most thought provoking and life moving book I've ever read. (And I've read A LOT of books.) 
  3. I met with a group of about 40 women from our church to begin thinking about how women's ministry can better serve the women of our church and community.
I do not like change; I do not handle change very well. When I thought about and finally looked up synonyms for change, this is what came up: adjustment, break (yikes!), correction, development, modification, mutation (not so sure I like this one), revolution, and transformation. (There were others, but these really stuck out to me as being meaningful in the change that we are living. THIS IS SCARY!  But I don't find myself as scared as I think I should be.  There is a very real peace about all of this because I KNOW that we are moving in the right direction.

So where are we going from here.  Tim and I are committing the month of July to prayer - seeking God's will  as to how to proceed in getting rid of excesses in our family. (This is the premise of Jen's experimental journey in 7.) As we spend this month in prayer, join us to see how God would want you to make changes in your own lives. I can't promise that my posts will be full of scripture and teaching and God breathed, life-changing, thoughts, but they will be honest and real.

2 comments:

Janie Farris said...

That's what I love about you the most; honesty. There is nothing that is harder in life or more cleansing than honesty; with ourselves and with those around us, and mostly with our relationship with God. Thank you for your insight and for your friendship.

Gwynne said...

You go girl! Exciting days ahead!